Renting a Traditional "Lancia" on Capri
Small traditonal wooden boats you can rent without a skipper
Boat rental offers to book online
A "lancia" is a small wooden boat with an outboard motor which can be rented without skipper. These boats are perfect for couples who want to enjoy exploring the coast of Capri, Italy in complete privacy.
Charter companies renting these boats are located in Marina Piccola, on the southern coast of the island. This is an ideal spot to rent a boat to navigate yourself, as it's far from the traffic of the port and marina where heavy boat traffic can make navigating dangerous for those without experience. From Marina Piccola, you can sail right through the quietest stretches of coastline opposite the Faraglioni and the Green Grotto.
A "lancia caprese" can transport up to 5 passengers and come equipped with:
- Ice chest
You can also bring food with you during your sail for a fun Capri-style picnic on board.
- I don't have a boating license. Can I rent a lancia?
- Yes, you don't need a boating license to rent a lancia. It is quite simple to navigate this type of boat, especially in the spring and autumn when the seas are calm and there are not many boats on the water. In July and August, the waters of Marina Piccola can be crowded with large yachts, making it more complicated to navigate if you don't have any previous experience.
- I don't know Capri. How do I discover the best places to go and where to drop anchor or moor?
- You are provided with a detailed map of Capri when you rent your boat, with explanations of the best places to drop anchor for a swim.
- Can I visit the Blue Grotto on a Lancia without a skipper?
- Yes, there a buoys in front of the Blue Grotto where you can moor your lancia. Then you have to wait your turn: a wooden rowboat will come out to pick you up and take you into the grotto. You have to pay the ticket price of EUR 13 to enter.
- Do I need to bring towels?
- Some charter companies provide towels, and some don't. It's a good idea to ask ahead of time.
- How much time does it take to sail around the island on a lancia?
- It takes at least two hours to sail the circumference of the island.