First time on Capri? Here's all the information you need before your trip.
Island of Capri
- 10 km squared: The entire area of the island
- 2 towns: Capri (population 7292) Anacapri (population 6733)
The average number of people
who visit each year
The number of people each year
who stay at least one night
on the island
The number of visitors who arrive
on the island each day in August
Distance between the principal airports and Capri
- 45 km from Naples
- 292 km from Rome Fiumicino
Regardless of your arrival airport, you must reach the port of Naples to board a ferry to Capri.
If you arrive in Rome, take into account that the trip between Rome and Capri can be very long.
Plan for at least 4 hours from when your flight lands, if you are lucky with all your connections.
If your flight arrives in the afternoon, consider spending the night in Rome or Naples before embarking for Capri.
All hotels can arrange a transfer with private car and speedboat to the port of Naples, and a pick up service at the port of Capri, which is a convenient solution and can be affordable if you are travelling in a small group.
- How long does it take to get to Capri?
- 25 minutes From the port of Sorrento
- 50 minutes From the port of Naples
- 40 minutes From the port of Positano (direct routes active only in summer)
Average annual temperatures
- Jan 12°
- Feb 13°
- Mar 15°
- Apr 17°
- May 22°
- Jun 25°
- Jul 28°
- Aug 28°
- Sept 25°
- Oct 22°
- Nov 16°
- Dec 14°
- Lunch: from 12:30pm to 3:00pm
- Dinner: from 7:30pm to 11:00pm
In the summertime, the times tend to go later...Italians often eat at 9:00pm on hot summer nights. In high season, you can find seating even after 11:00pm.
Tipping is not required and there is no fixed rule about how much to tip. If you are satisfied with the service, feel free to leave a tip between: 5% 10%
- From Easter to the beginning of November: non-stop from 10:00am to 8:30pm
- From the beginning of November to Easter: 10:00am - 1:30pm /4:00pm -7:30pm
In the summer, many shops stay open until late into the evening.
- Capilupi Hospital: Via Provinciale Anacapri, 80073 Capri, Italia 081 838 1111
- Emergency number: 118
- Medical guard nights and holidays: Piazza Umberto I, 9 Capri Tel. 081 8375716 - 081 8381238
When is the best time of the year to visit Capri?
The best months of the year to enjoy Capri are April, May, September, and October when the climate is mild and the island is less crowded.
Regardless of when you visit, we recommend staying over at least one night on the island to savor the best time of day: when the last ferry carries away the day trippers and you can enjoy the island with much less crowds!
Average sea temperatures
- January 14°
- February 13°
- March 14°
- April 15°
- May 18°
- June 21°
- July 24°
- August 25°
- September 23°
- October 21°
- November 18°
- December 16°
- The Euro is the currency used in Italy, and most hotels, restaurants, and shops also accept credit cards. There are ATM machines adjacent to the island banks.
- There is wifi available in most hotels, usually free of charge. Public wifi is scarce.
- There is good cellphone reception on the entire island, with exception of the area near the lighthouse.
What to pack
- Sun block
- Comfortable walking sandals
- At least one elegant outfit (but not too elegant...)
- Bathing suit
- Insect repellent
Capri: Tourist Information Offices
- CAPRI Piazza Umberto I Tel. +39 081 8370686
- MARINA GRANDE Banchina del Porto Tel.+39 081 8370634
- ANACAPRI Via G. Orlandi, 59 Tel. +39 081 8371524
How much does it cost?
- 1,8€ Bus & funicular tickets
- 3€ An ice cream cone
- 4€ An espresso at a table in the Piazzetta
- 10€ The chairlift for Mount Solaro
- 13€ Entrance to the Blue Grotto
- 14€ A pizza and a beer
- 15€ A cocktail in the Piazzetta
- 16€ A boat tour around the island
- 17€ A high speed ferry ticket from Naples
- 30€ A beach umbrella and lounger
- 35€ Cover charge and drink in a nightclub
- 100€ A restaurant dinner for two
Prices are general indications
and can vary quite a bit depending upon the location