Bite-size guide to the island in fall and winter
Why should I visit Capri in the late autumn or winter?
Is it worth it to visit Capri during the low season winter months? That depends upon what you want out of your vacation on Capri: if you are interested in shopping, dining in the most fashionable restaurants, and rubbing elbows with international celebrities, then it's probably not the right season for you. But if you are set on exploring the island by foot and enjoying the beautiful views in peace, then there is nothing better than a crisp, clear winter day to take to the trails.
From the beginning of November to just before Easter, most of the businesses serving tourists on the island are closed, and only those restaurants, shops, and cafés catering to locals remain open.
Tips for a Winter Trip to Capri
- Check the weather and sea condition forecasts: sea crossings by ferry are often suspended in the winter due to rough seas, so if you need to catch a ferry, be sure to double check the conditions. High speed ferries are suspended more often than ferries and slow ferries run by Caremar, so it's best to book with this ferry company.
- Pack winter clothing: Capri is not eccessively cold even in the winter months, but the wind and humidity give the air a distinct nip.
- Stay in a B&B: almost all the island's hotels close, but you will have no trouble booking a room in a local B&B.
Special Autumn and Winter Offers 2016/2017
Take advantage of low season special offers for your trip to Capri! This year, a number of island hotels and restaurants will stay open through the fall and winter.
- Hotels Open in the Low Season
Capri Wine Hotel
Hotel Villa Ceselle
Mediterraneo Guest House
B&Bs open in autumn and winter on Capri.
A low season fall or winter stay on Capri means you can take advantage of low season prices for tours and other services! Here are some examples:
- Round Trip Transfer to the Blue Grotto
With Motoscafisti di Capri: EUR 10 instead of EUR 15
Moving in Capri autumn/winter rates
Porto - Anacapri: EUR 18 instead of 23 (1-4 people); EUR 23 instead of 28 (5-6 people)
Capri - Anacapri: EUR 13 instead of 18 (1-4 people); EUR 18 instead of 23 (5-6 people)
- Transfer from Naples or Rome
With Trial Travel and Capri Tour, special autumn/winter rates.
Transfer from the Naples or Rome airport to the Beverello pier or your hotel.
Transfers from the port of Capri to your hotel.
- Guided Tours
With Capri Official Guides, more than 25% off the official rates.
Three hour tour of the center of Anacapri: EUR 100 instead of EUR 150
Other available tours: hike on Mount Solaro and Cetrella; tour of Villa Damecuta, the Fortini trail, etc...
Themed dinners featuring local specialties
Organized by Kaire Arte Capri
- Restaurants open
Take a look at our updated list of restaurants open and events scheduled Capri during the dates of your stay.
Contact your hotel for further information regarding all these services and events.
What To Do on Capri in Winter
Walks and Hikes
Clear winter days are perfect to set out on the island's many foot trails, and the chairlift for the peak of Mount Solaro remains open all year round.
The Blue Grotto and Boat Tours
The Blue Grotto is open all year, but visitors can only enter on days in which the sea is calm and there is no wind. To check if it is open, take a look at our Blue Grotto page which we keep updated each day, or ask at the tourist information office located in the Piazzetta (081 837 0686). You can walk to the grotto entrance from Anacapri or go by boat from Marina Grande.
Boat Tours: Even if there are no organized tours leaving for the grotto, just ask around the port and you'll find a skipper willing to take you by boat to the sea cave entrance!
Eating out can be tricky on the island in wintertime! Many restaurants are closed for the season, but if you are looking for an authentic local eatery featuring traditional cuisine, you can find it even in low season. At the base of the clock tower in the Piazzetta, there is a notice board where all the open restaurants are posted. Here are some of our favorites:
- Verginiello: You can't go wrong, no matter what the season. Home cooking, friendly service, fair prices, and a lovely view of the sea. The menu features traditional island specialities including "ravioli capresi", and they serve pizza at both lunch and dinner.
- E' Di Vino:: One of the most popular eateries among locals, even during the winter. This wine bar/restaurant is located in a historic home furnished with with tables, armchairs, and beds as if it were still home to an island family. This is a welcoming place to settle in for a late evening with a good bottle of wine.
- La Piazzetta: Despite its name, this restaurant is located in Marina Piccola. In the winter, they only serve lunch...if you are there on a sunny day, you can even dine al fresco. This side of the island is sheltered from the cold winter winds, and you can even sunbathe in January on warm days. They serve excellent local seafood.
- Da Gelsomina alla Migliera: This is one of the most famous restaurants on the island of Capri, specialized in home cooking. In November and December, it stays open on the weekends, and then closes again until mid-March. We suggest having lunch here, and then taking a lovely walk around the Migliera area.
Take a look here to see an updated list of all the open restaurants and scheduled events on Capri.
In the Piazzetta, the only café that stays open year-round is Piccolo Bar. It's a great place to have a drink in December, under the twinkling blue fairy lights and towering Christmas trees decorating the piazza.
Have a question? Ask us!
Recommended experiences and tours
Transport and Rental
Book online to reserve your scooter for your day on Capri!
Your scooter will be waiting for you to hop on.
From 10am to 4pm: visit Capri while skipping the long lines and waits for public transportation...at an excellent price.
Excursions by sea
Do you really want to enjoy the blue sea of Capri?
The best option is to book a private boat to sail around the island!
With its discreet charm the "Fratelli Aprea 7.80 open cruise" is the model that more than others represents the tradition and the classic line of Gozzo Sorrentino.
Yummy scrummy Anacapri!
Tel. +39 081 8373926
E' Divino €€€
Tales of the unexpected
Tel. +39 081 8378364
da Gelsomina €€€
Unforgettable food with an unforgettable view
Tel. +39 081 8371499
Let's meet in the Piazzetta!
A Philosophical Retreat along the Migliera Path.
March to a different drum!