Charterhouse of St. GiacomoMap
The 14th century masterpiece in the heart of Capri.
Built in 1371 by Giacomo Arcucci, on land donated by Queen Giovanna 1st of Angiò, the Charterhouse of San Giacomo is the oldest historic building on the Island of Capri.
If you're looking for a shady place in which to relax on a hot summer afternoon, this is the perfect place!
The entrance to the Charterhouse lies at the end of an avenue, next to a fortified tower. The Charterhouse is comprised of three blocks of buildings: one which is separate from the convent and houses the pharmacy and women's church; one for the converse monks and for the external guests with annexed granaries, stables and the monks workshops; the last block was reserved for the life of seclusion with a series of cells around Choistro Grande cloister and the other rooms encircling the smaller Chiostro Piccolo.
The Chiostro Grande follows a late renaissance plan with cross vaults on stone columns, the area at the center is organised following a geometrical design with green spaces. The Chiostro Piccolo has delicate cross vaults on Roman marble columns.
Today, the Charterhouse is seat of a High School, of the Diefenbach Museum and, during the summer, functions as venue for concerts and cultural events.
Charterhouse of San Giacomo opening hours
- Hours: May 10:00 am / 6:00 pm - June, July and August 10:00 am / 7:00 pm - September and October 10:00 am / 5:00 pm - November and December 9:00 am / 2:00 pm
- Closed: Monday
- Entrance: Euro 4,00. Entrance Charterhouse of San Giacomo + Augustus gardens: Euro 3,00.
- Free entry for EU citizens under 18
- 50% reduction for EU citizens aged 18 to 25 years
- Free the first Sunday of each month.
- There are often temporary exhibitions, either free or requiring a separate ticket purchase.
Eat, drink and be merry!
Whether you opt for a leisurely lunch or a romantic dinner accompanied by the sounds of traditional Neapolitan music, use this coupon to receive a special
Valid from 1 February 2017 to 31 December 2017
(Terms and conditions)
Have a question? Ask us!
Capri's permanent collections are a labour of love.
Il Geranio €€€
Fine food and a view ... of the Faraglioni!
Tel. +39 081 837 0616
Old Capri on your plate
Tel. +39 081 8370320
Donna Rachele €€€
Wine and dine
Tel. +39 081 8375387
A new way to visit Capri
Organized tours for the independent traveler
See the island, with an islander
Guided Walks and Itineraries around Capri
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Capri Boat Tours
- Capri Day Trips - Beyond the Island of Capri
- Grotta Azzurra - The Blue Grotto Capri
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Marina Grande
- Marina Piccola
- Mount Solaro
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Villa Jovis
- Villa Lysis
- Villa San Michele