The fascinating remains of Emperor Tiberius' residence in Anacapri.
Anacapri's Villa Damecuta is one of the twelve Imperial Roman villas built by the Emperor Tiberius on the Island of Capri. Only a few ruins remain and it is difficult to ascertain whether it was lived in only by Tiberius or was also used by Augustus.
The few traces which remain have allowed experts to identify an 80 meter long loggia with portico, opening out towards the Bay of Naples, which terminated in a large semicircular viewpoint. It is believed that the Villa of Damecuta was abandoned following the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD.
In the Middle ages, a watch tower was built on the site of the villa, and later, in the eighteen hundreds, the surrounding zone was fortified. Before reaching the villa, there is an Italian Air Force weather station. Continuing down the road from the archeological site, after about 15 minutes, you reach the Grotta Azzurra
Villa Damecuta: how do I get there?
- By taxi or bus. From Viale Tommaso de Tommaso in Anacapri, take one of the buses heading to the Grotta Azzurra.
- On foot. In Anacapri, walk along Viale Tommaso de Tommaso, Via Pagliaro and Via Grotta Azzurra until you reach Via Amedeo Maiuri (30 minutes).
A private 4 hours-tour to visit Villa Jovis and Villa Lysis: discover with a local guide all secrets of Capri Island, learning about archeology, history, art and nature of these amazing places from the Roman period to the twentieth century.
*Tour available every day except on Tuesday and Wednesday
(Terms and conditions)
Have a question? Ask us!
The island homes of Emperor Tiberius, Capri's most famous resident
Organized tours for the independent traveler
Guided Walks and Itineraries around Capri
See the island, with an islander
A new way to visit Capri
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Capri Boat Tours
- Capri Day Trips - Beyond the Island of Capri
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Grotta Azzurra - The Blue Grotto Capri
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Marina Grande
- Marina Piccola
- Mount Solaro
- Punta Carena
- Villa Jovis
- Villa San Michele