Renting a Boat on Capri: A Guide
How to organize an unforgettable day at sea on Capri
Touring the island of Capri, Italy by boat is definitely a must during any vacation on the island, especially in the summer months when you can escape the crowds and heat of the day only by heading out to sea.
But should you rent a boat with or without a skipper? What types of boats are available for rent on Capri? How much will it cost to rent a boat?
See our complete guide to renting a boat on Capri
Here you'll find all the information you need about the types of boats, prices, and tour packages for boat rentals on Capri, in addition to Capri boat rental packages and tours which you can book directly online.
Renting a Boat Without a Skipper
A boating license is not necessary for most boat rentals on Capri, but we strongly suggest that you have at least a bit of experience at sea and know the basic navigational rules if you plan on renting a boat without a skipper.
There are a number of different types of boats available for rent without a skipper on Capri:
- Boat with outboard motors: small boats with a maximum capacity of 5 passengers which are very easy to navigate
- Dinghy: there are various types of rubber dinghies which can be rented on Capri. Dinghies usually fit up to 6 or 7 passengers, and are fast and easy to navigate, though not recommended for those who get seasick.
- Gozzo: a gozzo is a traditional wooden boat used on the island, and requires a bit of experience to navigate. These boats are slower than dinghies and boats with outboard motors, but are more stable on the water and have comfortable sundecks. There are not many companies which will rent a gozzo without a skipper.
Renting a Boat With a Skipper
Renting a boat with a skipper is definitely the best way to enjoy a day at sea on Capri without stress and safely. The most common boats for private rentals and boat tours on Capri are the gozzo and the lancia:
- Gozzo: a gozzo is a small wooden boat which can fit a maximum of 6 passengers. They are the ideal boat for a couple, since two people can comfortably fit on the sundeck. These boats are also very stable on the water.
- Large lancia or gozzo: these are larger versions of the traditional wooden gozzo or lancia. A lancia can easily reach the Amalfi Coast and the Li Galli Islets, and the larger versions are perfect for families or groups of friends with enough room for everyone to spread out.
- Speedboat: high speed boats ideal for long trips and transfers.
How much does it cost to rent a boat with skipper for a few hours?
The classic tour around the island in two hours usually costs around EUR 150. In high season (July and August), prices can go up, but during the rest of the year there are often discounts and special offers.
How much time should we rent the boat for?
Italians love to rent a boat for the entire day and take time to swim, sunbathe, and stop for lunch. If you are not used to being out at sea all day, an entire day may be too tiring. In that case, we suggest a four hour rental, which is more than enough time to visit the island and its sea caves and stop for a swim. The least amount of time you'll need to tour the island is two hours.
More information about Boat tours of the island of Capri.
Where can I go with a rental boat if I set sail from Capri for the day?
In addition to the coast of Capri, you can sail to Nerano, a tiny fishing village on the point of the Sorrento Peninsula, the Amalfi Coast the its towns of Positano and Amalfi, and around the Li Galli islets. Sorrento and Ischia are also easy to reach by boat.
Renting a Yacht
You can also rent a luxury yacht on Capri, including a skipper and crew. One of the most common models is the Itama 38, but there is a variety of choices. You can also sleep on board these vessels, organize group lunches or dinners, and have a private party. Yachts are best for excursions to nearby destinations for more than one day.
Have a question? Ask us!
Recommended experiences and tours
Transport and Rental
Book online to reserve your scooter for your day on Capri!
Your scooter will be waiting for you to hop on.
From 10am to 4pm: visit Capri while skipping the long lines and waits for public transportation...at an excellent price.
Transport and Rental
Travel in style with a private and exclusive transfer organized by Capri Relax Boats... 24h/24h.
The service includes:
- Sedan or minivan Mercedes (from airport, station, hotel)
- Speedboat "Itama 38" (12 mt | Naples-Capri)
- Open-top taxi Capri (from the port to the hotel)
Excursions by sea
Do you really want to enjoy the blue sea of Capri?
The best option is to book a private boat to sail around the island!
With its discreet charm the "Fratelli Aprea 7.80 open cruise" is the model that more than others represents the tradition and the classic line of Gozzo Sorrentino.
Excursions by sea
Passion on the waves
Choose the best!
Fun in the sun on a boat tour off Capri
The most beautiful view of Capri? From the sea ... with Ciro Boats
Want to be skipper for a day?
Pleasure on the waves
The pristine coastline of Capri, exactly as it was during the Roman Empire.
A tailor-made boat tour
Limitless luxury and liberty at sea
When the sea becomes a family passion
Relaxation at sea with gourmet flair!
Discover the sea surrounding Capri
All the fun you can have at sea with perfect peace of mind
The Amalfi Coast by sea: past and present, history and legend
Explore the most beautiful coastline on the island of Capri aboard a traditional wooden boat
Like a VIP in Capri: choose the best, choose Capri On Board
Sail around the Island of Capri in your own dinghy!
The historic company for the tour of the island
Capri by luxury yacht : a dream sail
Join Gianni on his "gozzo" to explore the best of Capri by sea!
Tour the sea of Capri above and below the surface