A Complete Guide to Renting a Boat on Capri
A trip along the coast by boat is definitely a must during any vacation on Capri, especially in the summer months. Out at sea, you can escape the heat and crowds during the hottest hours of the day on the island.
Here are all the different types of boats you can rent on Capri, with or without a skipper. For each type of boat, you will find a number of suggested rentals or tours to book for an unforgettable day at sea on Capri. We suggest booking a rental or tour ahead of time, especially if you will be visiting in July or August, when demand is at its highest!
All you need to know about choosing a boat on Capri, Italy:
The traditional wooden boat used for centuries by islanders on Capri
- Capri's traditional wooden boat
- Perfect for a couple
- Ideal for a sail around the island
Small traditonal wooden boats you can rent without a skipper
- No need for a skipper
- Rentals from Marina Piccola
- Privacy and comfort
Travelling with a group? You can easily fit on these larger boats...
- For groups of up to 12 passengers
- Covered baggage storage
- Fun at sea with style and comfort
The easiest boat to navigate yourself along the coast of Capri
- Easy to navigate
- For a fun day at sea
- Holds 6-7 passengers
Transfers and excursions to explore the entire coast and bay
- Private transfers to and from Capri
- Cruises along the Amalfi Coast
- The perfect solution for day trips
All the luxury of a high end yacht to explore Capri in style
- Endless luxury
- Concierge service on board
- Pamper yourself by sea
Information about Boat Rentals on Capri
- Where are boat rentals on Capri located?
- Most boat rental and charter companies on Capri are located in Marina Grande, the island's port and marina. This is where most private boat tours will depart from and where you can hire a dinghy or boat without a skipper. There is only one boat rental company based in Marina Piccola, on the southern coast of the island.
- Do I need a boating license to rent a boat on Capri without a skipper?
- Not necessarily: there are small boats and dinghies which can be rented without a skipper even if you don't have a boating license. We recommend a minimum amount of boating experience to rent a boat independently, however.
- How do I visit the Blue Grotto with a private boat or tour?
- The Blue Grotto is classified as a museum, so you must purchase a ticket at the cave entrance (there is a floating ticket office). No boat tours on Capri include the price of the ticket to enter the Blue Grotto, so tickets must always be purchased separately. Visitors can enter the cave only when sea conditions are calm and it is safe to pass. You can check our Blue Grotto page to see if the cave is open or closed each day.
- If you rent a boat without a skipper, once you arrive at the entrance to the Glue Grotto you can anchor your craft to a buoy and a rowboat will come pick you up and take you through the cave mouth into the Grotto.
- Visiting the Blue Grotto
- Can I rent a boat to go from Capri to the Amalfi Coast?
- Of course. There are a number of companies which offer boat tours of Capri and the Amalfi Coast departing from the island and arriving in Positano, or vice versa. A large gozzo or speedboat is always used for this type of tour.
- Rent a boat in Positano or the Amalfi Coast
- Is there a less expensive alternative to a private boat rental on Capri?
- Yes, you can join a group boat tour which navigates around the entire island stopping at the Blue Grotto. Tickets cost around EUR 18 per person, the tour lasts about two hours, and departs from Marina Grande. The tour companies which organize group tours are Laser and Motoscafisti.
Excursions by sea
Do you really want to enjoy the blue sea of Capri?
The best option is to book a private boat to sail around the island!
With its discreet charm the "Fratelli Aprea 7.80 open cruise" is the model that more than others represents the tradition and the classic line of Gozzo Sorrentino.
Excursions by sea
The full day group tour includes a complete tour around the island in all the grottos, swimming and sun bathing, and around 3 hour of free time to explore the island by foot.
Each boat holds up to 12 people.
Excursions by sea
Enjoy the sea of Capri and surrounding area with the elegant luxury of an italian open motorboat.
The "Itama 38" (12 mt) used for the service, have private cabin, mini-bar, wc, sunbathing area with cushions and comfortable sofas where you can admire the panorama.
All you need for your relaxing day.