- Where is Capri?
- The Island of Capri is located in the Gulf of Naples off the southern coast of Italy, just a few nautical miles from Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast
- How big is the Island of Capri?
- The island is 10 square kilometers.
- Which are the main towns?
- The island is divided into two municipalities: Capri and Anacapri. The center of Capri town surrounds the Piazzetta, and is about 150 meters above sea level. Anacapri is at a higher altitute, about 275 meters above sea level. There are also two villages directly on the coast: Marina Grande (where the port is located) and Marina Piccola (on the coast opposite the port, facing the Faraglioni).
- Is it better to stay in the town of Capri or Anacapri?
- One isn't better than the other; it's a matter of taste and travel style. If you are visiting Capri for the shopping and nightlife, then you'll want to book a hotel in Capri town. If you prefer your stay on Capri to be about peace and quiet and relaxing walks and hikes through the countryside, then the perfect spot for you is Anacapri. To read more about Anacapri, take a look at this page.
- When is the best time of the year to visit Capri, Italy?
- We recommed visiting in spring when the weather is mild, the flowers are in full bloom, and there are many less tourists than the summer. During the high season summer months, as many as 20,000 people disembark each day on the island, which is an enormous influx or a tiny island like Capri. Regardless, most of these are day trippers who leave come sundown...so evenings on the island are much quieter. We also recommend the months of September and October for visiting Capri.
- Is it worth it to visit Capri in winter?
- During the winter months, Capri returns to its true nature as a sleepy Mediterranean island. There are very few tourists and the island has an austere and windswept charm not easily seen in other seasons. The weather is never too cold, but if often rains for an entire day. Most of the hotels on the island close during the winter months, but there are a number of B&Bs which stay open. For more information, read our page on winter on Capri.
- How long does it take to visit the Island of Capri?
- We like to think of Capri is less a destination to visit and more a land to discover, where you can relax and explore at a measured pace. For this reason, we do not recommend coming for a day trip. You'll need at least three or four days to fully experience Capri and Anacapri. If you do have only one day to visit, take a look at our itinerary for Capri in a day.
- What is the weather like on Capri?
- Capri has a typical Mediterranean climate, mild and warmed by the surrounding sea. In summer, the average temperatures are between 22 ai 26 degrees celsius, and in winter between 9 and 13 degrees celsius. More than cold, the winters are wet as the island receives a lot of rain during those months.
- Are credit cards accepted, and are there ATM machines?
- All major credit cards are accepted almost everywhere on Capri, and there are ATM machines in banks around the island.
How to get here
- Which is the closest airport to Capri?
- The Naples Capodichino airport. One you have landed, you can reach the Piazza Municipio in about half an hour, which is near the ports where the ferries depart for Capri. If you are flying in to Rome, it will take about three hours to reach the port in Naples.
- Where do ferries depart for Capri?
The main port where ferries depart for Capri are in Naples and Sorrento. In Naples, there are two piers: Molo Beverello, where high speed ferries depart, and Calata di Massa, where ferries and slow ferries depart. In summer, there are also ferry routes from Positano and Ischia.
Ferries for Capri, Italy
- What is the difference high speed ferries, ferries, and slow ferries?
- High speed ferries are fastest, while ferries are slower and slow ferries are, of course, the slowest. Ferries and slow ferries can transport motor vehicles, as well, and usually run even in case of rough seas (when most high speed ferries are suspended).
- Do I need to reserve my ferry ticket ahead of time?
- No, you can easily purchase your ticket directly at the port up until a few minutes before departure. Tickets may be sold out during the high traffic times in spring and summer, but if you arrive at the port at least half an hour before departure, you should be able to purchase tickets with no problems.
- How long is the sea crossing for Capri?
- The crossing takes about an hour from Naples and about half an hour from Sorrento.
- What happens in case of rough seas?
- When seas are rough, high speed ferry routes are often suspended, but ferry and slow ferry routes continue to run. It is very rare that all ferries are susupended, and usually that happens only in winter. For more information regarding departures, you can all the ferry companies or the Capri tourist information office (+39 081 8370686).
- Can I embark my vehicle for Capri?
- Non resident vehicles can be embarked for Capri only in the winter, usually from the beginning of November to the end of March, excluding the Christmas holidays. Regardless, we do not recommend bringing your vehicle with you to Capri as the streets in the city centers are all pedestrian, the parking limited, and the public transportation excellent.
- For more information:
Ferry schedules for Capri, Italy
Getting to Capri
Getting around Capri
- How do I get from the port to the center of Capri town?
The most convenient and fastest way to get to the town center is by funicular. The funicular departs every 15 minutes, though more often when there are long lines. The ticket office is located to the right of the pier where high speed ferries arrive.
- What bus routes run on the island?
- Capri - Anacapri
- Capri - Marina Piccola
- Capri - San Costanzo (Marina Grande)
- Anacapri - Grotta Azzurra (Blue Grotto)
- Anacapri - Faro (Lighthouse)
The ride between Capri and Anacapri takes about 10 minutes and buses depart every 15 minutes (more often in summer). Bus and funicular tickets can be purchased at the ticket offices at the port, bus terminal, or directly on board (only for buses).
Capri Bus Schedules
Bus Schedule Anacapri - Faro - Grotta Azzurra (Anacapri - Lighthouse - Blue Grotto)
- Where can I hail a taxi on Capri?
Taxis can be found at the main tourist destinations: Marina Grande, near the Piazzetta, Marina Piccola,and Piazza Vittoria in Anacapri. Taxis are open top and can carry 7 passengers. You can also call a taxi from anywhere on the island through Radiotaxi: +39 081 8371414.
Taxi Fares Capri
Taxi Fares Anacapri
- Can I rent a car on Capri?
- No, there are no car rental agencies on the island. There are scooter rentals.
- For more information:
- Getting Around Capri, Italy
Staying on Capri
- How long in advance should I book a hotel on Capri?
- For stays during the months of July and August, it's best to book two or three months in advance; the same applies for the Easter holidays. Our online booking system lets you check availability for most of the hotels on Capri.
- Are there budget hotels on Capri, Italy?
Let's say that there are some hotels that cost a bit less, though none are strictly low-budget. That said, you can find some great deals on hotel rooms, especially if you avoid the high season and come during the week rather than on weekends.
Book a Budget Hotel on Capri
Hotel Deals on Capri
- Are hotels on Capri, Italy open all year long?
- Almost all the hotels on Capri are open from the beginning of April to the beginning of November. Some also reopen for New Year's. During the winter, there are a number of B&Bs which remain open.
- Is there internet service on Capri?
- Free wifi hotspots are few and far between... Most of the hotels on Capri have an internet point and/or wifi. If the specific type of service is not specified on their website, ask what internet access they offer and if it is included in the room rate.
- Can my pet board the ferry with me?
- Yes, dogs with leashes and muzzles and cats in carriers may travel on the ferry. There are also a number of hotels that accept pets, especially small ones.
- Is there a place to deposit luggage on Capri?
- Yes, there is a baggage deposit in Marina Grande inside the souvenir shop opposite the pier. Make sure you ask their opening hours before leaving your bags.
Sights & Activities on Capri, Italy
- How much does dinner for two cost on Capri?
- A dinner including an appetizer, a main course, a dessert, and a bottle of wine will cost upwards of EUR 50/person (sometimes more, but rarely less).
- How much does an espresso cost in Capri's famed Piazzetta?
- An espresso with table service in the Piazzetta costs around EUR 4 - 5; standing at the bar, a little over EUR 1.
- Are there budget restaurants on Capri?
- If you have a tight budget, choose a restaurant in Anacapri, which are generally less expensive than those in Capri town, or opt for a simple pizza. In this post, we list some places on Capri where you can dine for less than EUR 20.
- What are the local dishes that I shouldn't miss?
- The most famous traditional island dishes are ravioli capresi, caprese salad, and torta caprese...as their names suggest! Ravioli capresi are filled with caciotta and parmesan cheeses and marjoram, caprese salad is a simple mix of mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and basil leaves, and torta caprese is a chocolate and almond cake dusted with sugar. Don't miss limoncello, a lemon liqueur made from local fruit.
- Are there nightclubs on Capri?
Capri's nightlife centers around the "taverne", local music clubs with live acts and dancing. The most famous is Anema e Core, just steps from the Piazzetta in Capri.
Night clubs on Capri, Italy
- How should I dress on Capri?
- There is no strict dress code for the island of Capri, though wooden clogs are banned (because they are too loud on the cobblestone streets), as is walking around shirtless in the center of town. Remember that the lanes in the center of Capri are quite steep, so we recommend women avoid high heels and instead opt for the traditional flat sandals worn on the island. Even in the summer, it's best to bring a light sweater or jacket for the evening breeze.
- How should I dress for an evening out on Capri?
- Islanders and visitors alike tend to dress informally. It is best, however, that men avoid wearing shorts at dinner in fine dining restaurants.
- Can we get married on Capri, Italy?
Civil and religious weddings can be held on Capri, though Catholic weddings are reserved for Italian citizens. There is an Anglican church on Capri for Protestant wedding services.
Planning a wedding on Capri, Italy
Capri with Kids
- Are there child-friendly beaches on Capri?
There are 3 pebble beaches: Marina Grande, Marina Piccola, and Bagni di Tiberio (which you can reach by gozzo boat from Marina Grande). The other beaches are rocky ledges where you have to dive into the water or use the ladders to climb in and out.
Beaches on Capri, Italy
- Are there playgrounds on Capri?
- There is a small park near the Piazzetta in Capri which the locals call "I Giardinetti" where kids gather to play in the afternoons. Regardless, much of the island is pedestrian only so children can run and play without any worries about traffic.
- Is there a babysitting service on the island?
- Most hotels can arrange for babysitting services if notified ahead of time.
- I'm staying on Capri...what is there to see nearby?
There are a number of destinations where you can daytrip from Capri: Napoli and Sorrento first of all, then Pompeii, which can be reached with the Vesuviana rail line from Sorrento. In the summer, there are also direct ferries for Positano and Ischia.
Capri: Tourist Information Offices
- Useful addresses
- CAPRI - Piazza Umberto I - Tel.+39 081 8370686
- MARINA GRANDE - Banchina del Porto - Tel.+39 081 8370634
- ANACAPRI - Via G. Orlandi, 59 - Tel. +39 081 8371524