Built in 1371 by Giacomo Arcucci, on land donated by Queen Giovanna 1st of Angiò, the Charterhouse of San Giacomo is the oldest historic building on the Island of Capri.
If you're looking for a shady place in which to relax on a hot summer afternoon, this is the perfect place!
The entrance to the Charterhouse lies at the end of an avenue, next to a fortified tower. The Charterhouse is comprised of three blocks of buildings: one which is separate from the convent and houses the pharmacy and women's church; one for the converse monks and for the external guests with annexed granaries, stables and the monks workshops; the last block was reserved for the life of seclusion with a series of cells around Choistro Grande cloister and the other rooms encircling the smaller Chiostro Piccolo.
The Chiostro Grande follows a late renaissance plan with cross vaults on stone columns, the area at the center is organised following a geometrical design with green spaces. The Chiostro Piccolo has delicate cross vaults on Roman marble columns.
Today, the Charterhouse is seat of a High School, of the Diefenbach Museum and, during the summer, functions as venue for concerts and cultural events.
Charterhouse of San Giacomo opening hours
- Hours: May 10:00 am / 6:00 pm - June, July and August 10:00 am / 7:00 pm - September and October 10:00 am / 5:00 pm - November, December, January, February and March 9:00 am / 3:30 pm
- Closed: Monday
- Entrance: Euro 6,00. Entrance Charterhouse of San Giacomo + Augustus gardens: Euro 5,00.
- Free entry for EU citizens under 18
- 50% reduction for EU citizens aged 18 to 25 years
- There are often temporary exhibitions, either free or requiring a separate ticket purchase.
Opening times and prices may change. Please check them at info-points in Marina Grande or in Piazzetta.