Capri is a relatively small island, with a total area of about 10 square kilometers and two towns, Capri and Anacapri. The island is very steep, so it is not always easy to get from one area to another by foot (especially when you have to go uphill!)
The town of Capri is divided into the port area of Marina Grande and the downtown, centered around the Piazzetta. The Tiberius neighborhood is to the east, and Marina Piccola is to the south.
The town of Anacapri is located on the slopes of Mount Solaro, at a higher elevation than the town of Capri. From the center of Capri, it is a ten-minute bus ride. The center of town is composed of the Boffe and Via Giuseppe Orlandi neighborhoods, and nearby there are the Migliera, the lighthouse, and the Blue Grotto.
The Areas on Capri
Why stay in Marina Grande
This area is quite busy during the day with the arrival and departures of ferries, but in the evening is a quiet hamlet. It's the perfect place to stay for those who are only on the island for a short time, one or two nights, as you are close to the ferry docks. It's also a good place to stay for families, as the nearby beaches are kid-friendly. With the funicular, you can reach the Piazzetta in just 5 minutes.
- Pro: near the port, the largest beaches, and the departure point for boat tours
- Con: during the day, it can get crowded and there are often long lines for public transport to visit the island
- Ideal for: overnight stays
Why stay in Capri town
The hotels located around the Piazzetta are perfect for those who love a bit of nightlife and foresee getting back to their hotel rooms in the early hours. If you would like a location close to the center but a bit quieter, book a hotel near Via Tragara and Via Occhio Marino. When you check the distance between your hotel and the Piazzetta on the map, be sure to check elevations: the Tiberius neighborhood seems close by, but Via Sopramonte and Via Croce are all uphill!
- Pro: right in the center of the action!
- Con: far from the beach
- Ideal for: honeymooners and everyone who like elegant shops and a chic nightlife
Why stay in Marina Piccola
On this stretch of coast, you'll find the island's most beautiful beaches and a view of the Faraglioni, but there isn't much to do and night. We recommend checking if your hotel has a shuttle service to the center of Capri.
- Pro: near some of the most beautiful beaches on the island
- Con: far from restaurants, shops, and other attractions
- Ideal for: anyone who wants to relax on the beach and enjoy the view of the Faraglioni
Why stay in Anacapri
This is perfect location for those who love peace and quiet and want to discover the more authentic side of the island. If you would like to explore the entire island, book a hotel near a bus stop on the Capri - Anacapri line. In the evening, it's a pleasure to wander the lanes in the center of Anacapri, lined with small restaurants, cafés, gelato shops, and wine bars... all in a small town, yesteryear atmosphere. If you book in one of the B&Bs in the area near the Blue Grotto or the lighthouse, consider renting a scooter to be able to move around the island freely. Many of the hotels in Anacapri offer a convenient shuttle service between the port and the hotel. There are no sandy beaches in Anacapri, but only beach clubs on the rocky cliffs.
- Pro: quiet and authentic atmosphere
- Con: the bus that runs between Capri and Anacapri is often crowded!
- Ideal for: those looking for a relaxing vacation or hikers
Hotels, B&Bs, and Villas on Capri
Multi-Day tours Capri - Amalfi Coast